ISFAF MONTHLY MEETING 7.30PM TUESDAY 12 SEPTEMBER 2023
Speaker: Anne-Marie Skegg, Senior Mental Health Clinician, Emergency Psychiatry , AMA
Topic: Tricks on Getting Help for you and your Loved One
Venue: Level Four, Spotless Building, AMAH, 549 St Kilda Road, Melbourne
a little to the city side of Wesley College, 549 is easily recognizable by white umbrellas in the forecourt.
Lots of free parking in the centre lanes of St Kilda Road, with many trams stopping at the door.
If you are having trouble with transport, seek further information or just need a chat, about ISFAF and/or issues faced by carers please phone: Judi M: 0425 723 746 or Eleni M: 0412 018 722
Please come early to chat and to enjoy delicious food which will be available from 7.10 pm
Due to security needs, we are required to pay a concierge at the door of the building.
New GP Psychiatry Support Line
The GP Psychiatry Support Line is a free phone-in service available for GPs to help them manage the mental health care of their patients. GPs can call 1800 16 17 18 to speak directly with a qualified psychiatrist.
Their psychiatrists support GPs with information and advice regarding specific cases or general enquiries. Advice includes but is not limited to:
- Treatment pathways and safety planning.
The service is available between 7am and 7pm, (AEST)Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays).
Here are some examples of the topics discussed:
- Following a traumatic experience, my patient has presented with PTSD.
- I have a teenage patient showing early signs of suicidal ideation.
- My patient has a history of opioid abuse and appears to be “Dr Shopping”.
- I’m seeing a child, whose parents are recently divorced. She is struggling with depression and showing signs of self-harm.
- My patient’s husband has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. She is using alcohol to help her cope with her anxiety and depression.
- I have reason to suspect that my patient’s parent is abusing the medication prescribed to her child.
- My patient has severe anorexia, refuses to eat, and has almost halved their weight.
Please note, the support line is NOT a triage, referral, or emergency service.
Care Finder: Helping people navigate Aged Care
Discover how Care Finder Programs help seniors who can’t access aged care services through Francis’ story.
Following a presentation to an Aged Care Assessment Team,COTA Victoria received a referral from an assessment clinician for Care Finder support to be provided.
COTA Victoria called Francis to advise of their service and to try and determine eligibility. Francis advised that his daughter, although living locally, has limited contact with him and he didn’t feel comfortable asking her for assistance. It was at his daughter’s recommendation that he sell his house and move into his current flat, which he was not happy about.
In liaising with My Aged Care, it was discovered that Francis had additional approvals which he was not accessing, including a pending Home Care Package Level 3 (HCP3) which was to be assigned in 3-6 months, and a continence assessment.
How Care Finder helped Francis:
- Assistance with My Aged Care paperwork to determine service eligibility
- Income assessment to provide financial assistance and support
- Continence nurse
- Social engagement opportunities
- Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) for Domestic Assistance and Shopping.
To learn more about the Care Finder Program, visit the SEMPHN website.
AHCS June-August 2023 events
This program covers events scheduled from June – August 2023. In the program you will find all the information you need to know about the events, and how to join in.
Remember all our events are FREE!Lots of our events have availability, but some of our events have limited places. Where places are limited, please register to express your interest and we will email you if we are able to offer you a place. As a subscriber to our e-Newsletter you can find out about new events, updates or changes to the events program.Make sure you also keep an eye on the “What’s On” section of our website for any updates to the calendar (changes to the program or added events).If you have any further questions call us on 03 9076 6644.
To view the program or to register your interest, click here
You can access the complete newsletter via the link below:
Alfred Health Carer Services August 2023 News