Photo by Brandon Griggs on Unsplash

Abbeyfield Australia  (03) 9419 8222, email admin@abbeyfield.org.au
Abbeyfield Australia is a national not-for-profit community housing provider and the peak body representing 26 independent Abbeyfield Societies in towns and suburb across Australia. Abbeyfield Australia currently provides three types of affordable accommodation:

  • assisted independent living for adults with mild intellectual disabilities
  • ‘low care’ (Hostel) aged care accommodation
  • assisted independent living for those aged 55+.

More accommodation models are being developed in conjunction with local communities to meet local community needs.

Department of Health and Human Services 1300 650 172 delivers public housing assistance and tenancy management services through a network of housing offices across Victoria.  For information on or access to our services, contact your local office (link is external) during business hours or visit http://www.housing.vic.gov.au

Movable units for older people and people with a disability or support needs
Movable units are available through public housing. They are mainly for older people and people with a disability or support needs so they can live independently. The units are self-contained and can be set up in the backyard of a friend or relative’s home.
Find out about public housing movable units.

Hanover Housing and Support Services Hanover and HomeGround have now merged services to form Launch Housing.   Please click here to visit the Launch Housing website for the most up to date information about our work.  Visit Us

The Haven Foundation 9867 1992, PO Box 7499 St Kilda Road, Victoria 8004, havenfoundation@bigpond.com provides an opportunity for people with serious mental illness to live independently within a communal environment.   www.havenfoundation.org.au

Launch Housing IF YOU ARE IN CRISIS CALL 1800 825 955 We are one of Victoria’s largest providers of housing and homelessness support services. We provide flexible, specialist services that directly assist thousands of men, women, young people, children and families every year.

Housing Choices Australia – Long Term Affordable Housing 1300 312 447
Housing Choices is a national, not-for-profit housing provider that creates safe, quality, affordable housing for people who are struggling to find a home in Australia’s challenging private rental market.

Mind –  Mind Connect for service info and referral 1300 286 463
Residential services (including supported independent living)

Mind offers residential rehabilitation services in a safe, home-like environment.  Residents are supported with a range of individual and group activities that promote social connection and skills for independent living.
We offer adult and youth residences
The adult residential rehabilitation services will progressively transition to the NDIS service model, whereby residents will be offered supported independent living services (as an NDIS Core Support option) separate to their housing arrangements.

Prahran Malvern Community Housing Inc  9826 5194. Shop 2, 1 Surrey Road South Yarra 3141.  The agency provides affordable accommodation for people on low incomes, and aims to ensure long term viability of tenancies by linking tenants to support services where required.

South Port Community Housing Group 9696 1128 – 9.30am – 5pm Monday to Friday. Community rooming houses in South and Port Melbourne.  www.spchg.org.au/

Statewide Women’s Community Housing Service 9387 1033, 711 Nicholson Street, North Carlton – 9 am – 5 pm Monday to Friday. Transitional housing and vacancy information and referral for women, young women and their dependants.

St Kilda Rooming House Issues Group 9534 1809 – 9.3oam – 5.30pm Monday to Friday.  Community rooming houses in St Kilda.

Supported Residential Services (SRS)  SRSs are private businesses that provide accommodation and personal care. This care usually includes assistance with showering, personal hygiene, toileting, dressing, meals and medication, as well as physical and emotional support. Some SRS also provide nursing or allied health services. Call the Department of Health Southern Metropolitan regional office on 8765 5444 for more information or visit www.health.vic.gov.au/srs/about/

Supported Residential Service Outreach Team (managed by Inner South Community Health Service) 9528 800,  provides a range of supports to residents of pension-level Supported Residential Services, Rooming Houses and Caravan Parks, including physiotherapy, podiatry, personal care and equity and access.  www.ischs.org.au

The St Kilda Housing Association 9534 5837 – 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday. Community rooming houses and long term accommodation in St Kilda.

Wellways 1300 111 400  in home respite care, Doorways Program and Opening Doors.