Regulatory and Legal

AED Legal Centre 9639 4333
AED Legal Centre is a specialist Community Legal Service operating throughout the state of Victoria.  The centre provides information, education, advice, and legal representation to people with disability who experience discrimination in the areas of education or employment as well as representation to people seeking review of decisions about their NDIS plans.

Our main objective is to defend the human rights of people with a disability in education or employment and give them access to the justice system through a combination of individual, legal and systemic advocacy.

The centre is a member of the Federation of Community Legal Centres of Victoria and is accredited by the National Association of Community Legal Centres (NACLCs).

AED Legal Centre is part of the National Disability Advocacy Program (NDAP) and is mainly funded by the Australian Government through the Department of Social Services.

Consumer Affairs Victoria 1300 55 81 81  Consumer Affairs Victoria is a business unit of the Department of Justice and Community Safety, within the Victorian government.  We are Victoria’s consumer affairs regulator. Our purpose is to help Victorians be responsible and informed businesses and consumers.

OPA LogoOffice of the Public Advocate

OPA’s team of highly trained staff can provide advice on a diverse range of matters that affect people with disability, including:

  • guardianship and administration
  • enduring powers of attorney
  • medical treatment decision-making
  • matters affecting people with disability
  • referral to OPA’s Community Visitors Program.
    Telephone 1300 309 337

Court Network  Freecall 1800 571 239  Court Network is a free confidential community service provided by volunteers for all court users in Victoria and Queensland:
victims, witnesses, accused, family and friends.  We provide non-legal information, support and referral in court matters before, during and after. Our aim is to stand beside, empower and instill confidence in all court users.
Find out more on how we can help you

Department of Health & Human Services On 1 January 2015, the Victorian Government established the Department of Health & Human Services (DHHS) to integrate health and human services policies, programs and services to improve the wellbeing of all Victorians. The new DHHS brings together the former Department of Health, former Department of Human Services and Sport and Recreation Victoria.

As of 1 February 2021, the Department of Health and Human Services will be separated into two new departments: the Department of Health (DH) and the Department of Families, Fairness and Housing (DFFH). Please visit the DH and the DFFH websites for corporate information about the new departments. This website is being updated to reflect the changes to the Victorian Government and its Ministry. provides information about planning, policy development, funding and regulation of health services and activities that promote and protect Victoria’s health. This includes delivery of mental health and aged care services in Victoria.
Find a local mental health service
Clinical and community support services for young people, adults and older people.
Contact details for Victoria’s mental health services

Australian Government Department of Health and Aged Care
We develop and deliver policies and programs and advise the Australian Government on health, aged care and sport. We work with a wide range of stakeholders to ensure better health for all Australians.

Services Australia  Medicare services are delivered by the Department of Human Services.  Together with information about Centrelink and Child Support services, Medicare information is moving to a single entry point for health, social and welfare payments and services –  You will be automatically transferred to the new information as it becomes available on

Health Complaints Commissioner 1300 582 113 

In most cases, you must first try to resolve your complaint directly with the health service provider.  If you have already tried to resolve your complaint or already have tried contacting the provider please see:

Federation of Community Legal Centres
Community Legal Centres across Victoria provide free legal advice to people experiencing disadvantage. Find a Community Legal Centre.

Mental Health Tribunal

The Mental Health Tribunal is an independent quasi-judicial body that:

Moores Legal 9898 000, 9 Prospect Street, Box Hill assist with estate planning and structuring including planning for vulnerable beneficiaries, special disability trusts, all needs protective trusts, wills.

NPS MedicineWise was established in 1998 as the National Prescribing Service (NPS) Limited. Through two decades of continuous national leadership and services provided in the health sector, NPS MedicineWise remains committed to supporting quality use of medicines to improve health decisions and health and economic outcomes in Australia.

Office of the Chief Psychiatrist, telephone number: +61 3 9096 7571

Victoria’s Chief Psychiatrist is Dr Neil Coventry.
The role of the Chief Psychiatrist under the Mental Health Act 2014 is to:

  • provide clinical leadership and expert clinical advice to public mental health services
  • promote continuous improvement in the quality and safety of mental health services
  • promote the rights of persons receiving mental health treatment from public mental health services
  • provide advice to the Minister and the Secretary about the provision of mental health services.

Psychotropic Drug Advisory Service (for Victorians only – clinicians, consumers, carers, and other support organisations)

For advice and guidance on: 

  • Treatment options and response
  • Potential adverse effects of psychotropic medicines, as well as other psychoactive substances
  • Medication interactions, including psychotropic medicines and other drugs, complementary and herbal/natural medicines
  • Medication monitoring, including plasma drug levels and metabolic monitoring with psychotropic agents
  • Information on the use of medications by special populations e.g. children, adolescents, the elderly, and women who are pregnant or breastfeeding

Phone: (03) 9076 8036
Monday to Friday 9:00am to 5:00pm

After hours and Public Holidays – you are welcome to either, leave a message – please provide your contact details; – or send an email. A team member will respond to your query as soon as possible. 

Social Security Rights Victoria
Social Security Rights Victoria (SSRV) is a community legal centre that provides free legal services in relation to Social Security and Centrelink matters to people across Victoria.

General Advice Line
Monday – Thursday
9.30am – 12.30pm
Telephone: 03 9481 0355


We help Victorians plan, manage and live on through life’s adversities.

Our products and services include Will Writing, Powers of Attorney, Executor Services and Trustee Services, as well as Personal Financial Administration for more than 9500 Victorians who, due to mental illness, injury or disability, are unable to fully manage their own affairs.

Victoria Legal Aid

Contact us
The quickest way to get help is to search Find legal answers or chat to us online using Legal Help Chat.  You can also call 1300 792 387, Monday to Friday from 8am to 6pm

 Where can you find us  We have 15 offices in metropolitan and regional Victoria.   Community legal centres also provide free legal services to the public. Go to Community Law to find your closest community legal centre.

Mental health and disability

Guardianship and administration orders

Mental health and your rights

National Disability Insurance Scheme